Handil Field, East Kalimantan - A Journey to the Past
Handil field has been discovered 25 years ago and since then the exploration and production are like a journey without ending. It was one of the biggest oil fields of Total with
180.000 bod (barrels oil per day) of production in early 80s.
Today, here I am, a new reservoir engineer, in charge of this field. To be precise, I am the reservoir production responsible of the northern part as well as Enhanced Oil Recovery (Gas Injection) project responsible. (PS: Gas Injection is a method to recover more oil by re-injecting produced gas to the reservoir in order to maintain the reservoir pressure and sweep "by passed" & immobile oil to the production well)
Not like in the past, I am not dealing with natural flow reservoir that produce many oil and gas automaticly. Since the field becomes mature,
the production is only 15.000 bood (not even 10 % of its peak performance), many artificail lift methods in well and reservoir scale need to be applied.
Back to the visit, today I go to one cluster to another and make an observation well by well. As reference, I read the report of my colleague, Handy Vicentius, mentioning that one cluster could consist of up to 8 wells. Like the one in front my eyes right now, HA cluster in M2 section!
From the far from my boat, I can see a big cluster platform with 8 wells, this should be the cluster that have been mentioned by Handy. So exited, I step down from my boat with many curiousities since I thought I would deal with important oil wells. Yet it is not the case, only one of the8 wells in this cluster is put on production adn nevertheless the flow is so weak. For sure this cluster is not the only case !
I step back to the boat and slowly but sure leaving the cluster. I say then to my self ..... Henky,
you just see the glorious moment of Handil. I realize that that moment is already passed and I feel dust like reading a history book.
In this moment being, many people are talking about the abandonment of this field. Yet, please be calm and take more attention! Twenty five years have been passed of production and
Break Event Point should have been achived, meaning all the investment has already been back. So everything what we produce is
profit . Moreover,
15000 bopd and 100 MMscfd of production are not peanut, it can be converted to 33000 bepd annd taking 25$ for 1 barrel of oil, it means Handil is earning 825000 US$ daily, or 24.75 MM US$ monthly.
In rupiah, it equals to more than 200 Milyard per month, mmmmh .... imagine what you can buy with that amount of money :)
Back to the daily life again, I am sure that a lot of challanges should be encountered in the immediate future. It is not just a matter of making another oil discovery but also to use all recent technologies to maintain the production of this brown field. Twenty five years have been passed but the ending is still far away ........
The future is just in front of my eyes and a journey with a lot of innovation and exploration is going on.
posted at 9:38 PM