vaiodream.com | ||
|
A petroleum engineer by profession, an adventurer by heart, a dreamer by nature.... It's all about a dream world and everything that I'm dreaming of.
Journal
Finding your VaioDream archive :
Power by:
|
Hi guys,
Only the blog-part of my website will be posted in three languages; English, French and Indonesian! I hope it would be a nice cultural interaction ..... Have a nice reading. Monday, November 25, 2002
Miss World's Beauty Contest - Abuja, Nigeria
A pageant turns ugly ! A local nigerian daily's article provoke a riot in Nigeria by bringing Miss World's beauty contest as an issue. They offended Muslims by claiming that if the Prophet Mohammed were alive today, he would have approved of the contest and might have married one of the contestants. It a sensitive news for Muslims especially in the holly month of Ramadhan. Suddenly a bloddy riot followed it and killed over 200 people and make some 1125 injured in the north region of this country which muslims are the majority. Later the violence spread to the capital, Abuja, where the miss world's delegation took up positions in the Hilton Hotel's shrubbery as the beauty queens dined by candlelight at poolside. Organizer finally decided to move the pageant final from Abuja to London ...... too late, hundreds of people have alreay dead ! Why does this kind of thing happen easily in a region which doesn't have a religion as one single majority? Wherever it is, from Africa to Asia ...... When we believe in something too much (In this case is religion) and make us blind to the others' belief, we could be provoked to do the irrasional thing easily! Maybe it's better to understand each other and try to accept them, whoever they are and whatever they believe in ! Or just be a dreamer like John Lennon did " Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do, nothing to kill or die for. Imagine there's no religion too, imagine all the people, living life in peace ...... " You may say that I'm a dreamer but I hope that I'm not the only one, am I ? Dedicate to my best friend Moufdi Chikh who is going to work in Nigeria next year, take care buddy ! And also for all my beautiful memory of Africa, I'll be back .... | |
copyright © 2002 Henricus HERWIN | ||